Monday, April 20, 2009

Half Marathon, check!

As I mentioned on my last post, the Go! St. Louis Half and Full Marathon races took place in downtown St. Louis this last weekend. I had trained over 3 months for this event ("the half"), prepared myself for everything I thought I would face on race day, bought the right pair of shoes, shirt, shorts, ipod nano, armband, and there I was, in the middle of 17 thousand other runners just waiting for the gun to go off. The atmosphere would have been perfect if it wasn't for one small was raining! But I was not about to let one "small" detail (I thought) soak my goal, so here you go:

Mile 1: I had to make sure I did not go out too fast otherwise I would pay for it later. 7:45, perfect! I was at a conversational pace observing the views of downtown. Rain still coming down.

Mile 2: More of the same....same pace, more rain, dodging puddles!

Mile 3: At this part of the course, we went around the Budweiser brewery and the smell of hops and barley was in clearly in the air. I missed the mile marker but I'm assuming I kept up the same pace.

Miles 4-6: Not much going on. I was feeling strong besides having to go up a couple of small hills. The half-way mark was getting close.

Mile 7: I took my head phones off and scanned the spectators. This is what I saw:


Amy and Claire cheering me on! Claire was wearing her runners "bib"!

Mile 8: Energized by my personal cheerleaders, I probably had my best mile. Under 7:30! However, this is also the mile where I realized a couple of things: 1) I REALLY needed to go to the bathroom...I had been holding since mile 1 (so much for staying hydrated and drinking lots of water prior to the race). 2) The rain was not letting up and my shoes were now soaked and heavy. I started to feel blisters forming on both my my feet, and I still had another 5 miles to go.

Mile 9: Bathroom break. That's right, I stopped at a conveniently positioned porter-party next to the course path. This added about 45 seconds to my time, gave me some much needed relief, and officially made me an amateur runner.

Mile 10: At this point I had realized that this was the farthest I had ever ran before. I did not have much left to go, but I was starting to feel the race on my back. My feet hurt. Rain still coming down.

Mile 11-13: These were kindda of a blur. I don't remember much of them except that I just wanted to get to the finish line. I knew my pace had slowed down but I was still on target to make it under my goal of 1:45.

Finish: A quick sprint to cross the finish line.....official time.....1:44:32, success! Under the rained I started to make my way back to my car. I finished in 558th place out of 8533 half-marathoners. Not bad for a first timer! A special thanks to Amy, Kelly and Claire for coming to watch me!

Here are a few pictures taken by Kelly.

Claire giving me some pointers before the race

About half-way through the race.

Her "bib" says "daddy's future running buddy"

The end!


Mandy Rose said...

Congratulations! I loved the recap!! GREAT TIME! Look at you...a first timer...showing a bunch of people up! GO DAN!

Kelly said...

it was a great Sunday (other than the rain)! so proud to have witnessed your first 1/2 marathon.

amy said...

Wow...i got chills! I felt like I was running right along with you...thanks for the play by play!

So proud of you sweetie!

Ivone said...

Esse é o meu campeao!!!!!! Adorei!!!! Continue assim que logo vc estara correndo a maratona.